Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Perilous pottying

E does not do stuff you tell him to do, neither does he do things that he cannot initiate, or do perfectly. He has always been like this. The most frustrating time in his life was when he wanted to move and could not figure out how to get his body to do it.

Why should potty training be different?

After the initial 'I want to wear my spiderman's mom' became a health risk as he would refuse to urinate for two days (unless he is sleeping and then he would just wet himself) I but him back in nappies.

Until Monday morning when he came running into my bedroom with this desperate expression on his face 'Mommy quickly klere uittrek, pooh outside' He was wearing a bodyvest with clips between his legs and could not undress himself.

Asking him if he would not rather want to pooh on the potty, a definate 'NO!' convinced me that he would need a bit of motivation.

So I fetched some candy - placed it on the washbasin and called the young man. I told him if he wants the candy he must make his pooh in the potty. Got rewarded by a screaming toddler. So I just left it. Couple of minutes later E takes me to the candy and asks me - Mommy what is that? It is candy my boy. Oh. To the potty: Mommy what is that? It is the potty. Oh. So he made a record breaking pooh in the potty and ate his candy.

We do not have that 'FIRST NAPPY OF THE DAY' anymore, but he might need some dental attention soon...

No comments: