Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Celebrating family

Mom and Dad and Nikyle

The whole family
Boys behaving badly ;-)
Today I got to be part of John's extended family. His little kid, Nikyle, turned 10 and we all got to celebrate together. For the first time since his birth, his parents and grandparents were all gathered around a table at John's restaurant for lunch. I made it beautiful and bought the kid a cake. The conversations around the table were varied and easy. No evidence of all the rejection and court cases that lies in the past.

I think that maybe the love and acceptance that have been planted is growing seeds across more families than just mine. I wanted to cry from the beauty of it all. The hug I got from a little kid that tries to be a brave adult at such a tender age. The measured look I could meet from the grandfather that has had to soften with time. Even Nikyle's mom and I shared a tight hug and John could wink at her as they made arrangements for next weekend. And who knows, maybe the invitation to go dancing with them one night might even realise.

No comments: