Pages

Monday, May 04, 2009

Cultivating Culture

After E and me got seated at a rather snazzy restaurant the maitre'd came up to our table and asked us what we would like to drink. As she looked at me to place the order, I looked at E to give him an opportunity to answer.

His response came in a very responsible adult voice
'Can I have a glass of red wine please' he said with a slight smile, straightening his napkin and looking the rather shocked lady straight in the eye.
I ditto't that and then explained that his red wine is grapetizer, a non alchololic beverage made from red grapes.

Because you see, at our house, we always share a glass of red wine at the dinner table. The ritual dictates that we sit down together, clink our glasses and wish each other bon appetite. Signalling the start of family dinner at my house and one of the most important moments in my day.

No comments: