An interesting dynamic is created when two (previously) single children are thrown together for a weekend. Both are intelligent and well mannered, but they are just kids, competing for the same person's attention.
In this case John; and even though Nikyle and John have a good relationship, the emotional attachment between Elrich and John is far more evident. I think this is just a natural result of the histories shared. John came into E’s life when he was three years old and we have spent a lot of time together as a little family. Whereas Nikyle only spends a couple of hours on a Sunday at John’s place, playing a computer game and going for a sandwich. I normally do not join them, unless E is with me and we go somewhere together as a family.
The result is that John is a bit distanced in his role as a father in Nikyle's life, I don’t really have a relationship with Nikyle at all and we have not even begun to blend as a family of four. I never really thought about this or realized it, until the Christmas weekend we spend at my parents. Even though the weekend was relaxing and fun it became clearly evident that, if we want to ‘play house’ we will have to do something about the configuration of our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment