I cannot believe that we are in the middle of November, time has almost lost its meaning to me as we continue to speed along this highway of our life. The more I feel that I would like to slow down and enjoy the small things in life, the more it seems to me as if everything is just speeding up. Buying our home was such a long struggle and it seems as if every waking moment is either consumed by work or our property.
E is growing into a young man right in front of my eyes and I feel nostalgic about leaving his small childhood years behind. Next week it is his graduation from pre-school and the start of the long summer holidays. We are all graduating out of the informal schooling environment and impromptu trips and holidays to a far more structured educational environment next year. That together with the coming of age of two of my businesses will, I believe proof its own set of challenges.
I cannot tell a lie, 2010 was a very hard year, emotionally and financially but when I look back I can see how we have grown. Grown as a family and into a family; grown from a very small business to industry leaders in our field with a diverse set of clients across the mining sector and mature negotiations even outside of the mining sector. Building linkages and products in a niche market during an economic recession has taught me many valuable skills in business; the most important I believe is how crucial it is to have the ability to move with the market whilst you consolidate your base at the same time.
Us as a family, learning to live together in our home, oh dear, I do not even know where to start to try and capture the trials and tribulations of settling into our new home. But I think we are starting to jell as family and learning how to best love each other. Not to talk about our home starting to look slightly like a home and less like a family abiding in a neglected little house on an overgrown farm.
I am having so much fun choosing paint colours for the house at the moment and i cannot decide which room i should start first with as i would just love do everything at once and have it all ready in a flash. I do realise that it is not realistic though but I absolutely have to share that I feel so super spoiled as I splashed out on the most wonderfull 100% pure Egytian cotton linen for my bed. I have decided that my bedroom's theme with be chocolate and vanilla and the to go with that I will have deep Imbuya wood side tables, oyster coloured bed linen with dark chocolate brown pillows and trimmings and dark wood accessories in the room. Baroque cream linen curtains set of with wooden railings and a sand coloured walls. A room of light.
The lounge we added to the house was a storeroom until a week ago, now it looks sligthly better and I went to select colour palets for that room yesterday. I am thinking dark skirtings, the stupid builder put really shitty wood skirtings on and I dont have money to replace it so I think I will just go ahead and paint it a very dark green/bluegreen type colour and then use the same colour palette but a much lighter colour to go for the walls. I think that will really set the tiles of nicely and bring the room out. Then some floating shelves in the same colour as the skirtings to accentuate the darker colours on the walls and break the monotony of that room. I still want to design a wall feature with photos and mirrors down the long side, I just need to understand the spacing of the floating shelves (as we need the packing space rather desperately) in relation to my mural. I should start taking before and after photos for my blog as the metamorphosis is rather exciting to follow.

No comments:
Post a Comment