Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A kid with two homes

The main reason why I went through the trauma of marriage counseling and trying to reconcile my marriage last year was because I did not want Elrich to grow up as the child of divorced parents. I now realise I did it more for myself than for him.

He is a very happy little boy, that clearly understands that he lives in 'our house' and goes to visit his daddy at 'his house'. He now gets to see his dad a lot more than he did previously, and Phil is taking an interest in his son and making a real effort to spend quality time with him. In the beginning E would not talk about his dad at all, but now we have long conversations about everything they do and how much fun they had together and I really encourage him to talk about daddy and how much they love each other. He often brags about 'my daddy did this or the other' and I can see that he enjoys the time spend at his dad's place.

This weekend past a long standing friend of ours had a birthday party for his little two year daughter and we were both invited. So we went and it was ok, we were there as friends and supported each other as parents when E needed it. We could even chat a bit and there were no obvious tension or anxiety. I must be honest though, it really tired me out and I was emotionally exhausted by the time I left for home.

Over the previous six/seven months I have worked really hard to face and deal with my emotions, my hurt, anger, disappointment and to let go of the past. To build new dreams of a future for my little family and I think that I have made some progress in creating an environment were E will not grow up as ‘the child of a broken home' but rather as ‘the child of two loving parents'.

1 comment:

mi said...

I am so happy to read this post. You have mentioned what a concern the two households were, which is really understandable. It sounds like this split has had some benefits in E's relationship with P. It is probably a very good thing for him to see the two of you together casually, without any tension. That way he doesn't have to feel guilt for enjoying time with one parent as if he was betraying the other. I'm sure neither of you are telling him to feel that way, but when there is tension, it could come about. Yea for you guys making such wonderful progress.