Pages

Monday, September 08, 2008

Phillipa, you do us proud!


Today a young South African woman won a gold medal at the Para-Olympic games. Yes the medal is won for South Africa, but gold is going to all those people that have overcome all odds to make a dream come true.

Phillipa is known to me through her family, I used to ride professionally for her uncle, the identical twin brother of her father. Her brother got killed in the accident that left her partially paralysed in October 2008, he was a very dear friend of mine. I can still see the light filtering through his marble green eyes, remember how he tried to soften the learning curve of riding for me and whenever I feel like the world is a too big a mountain to climb I remember his mantra that 'As long as your low is higher than your previous low, you are making progress'.

Phillipa has overcome numerous challenges, her handicap only one of them, to participate in her second Para-Olympic games. She currently resides and works in Belgium and managed to pay her own way for both her and Benedict to go to the games. We salute you, your courage and determination to reach your dreams is an inspiration!

1 comment:

mi said...

Aaah, the origination of a phrase/mantra you use often. You know, you have lost some dear ones who add positive things to your life, even today. How proud you must be of your very determined and successful friend!