Momma, ek het my broek nat te piepie….it is still pitch dark outside. The whimpering little voice is coming from right next to me. Right next to me! Oh no, that means my bed is soaking wet. My fingers move gingerly over to locate the body…feel around, yip, confirmed, everything soaked. Oi
I just pull the whole lot off his body, bundle the cold wet little legs against me and wish for time to stand still and us to doze of again. Not a chance. My nose gets pulled, ears rubbed, cheeks licked. The last one I cannot stand and with a sigh the covers are thrown back and a tired, stiff body expelled from the heat (been horse riding again lately).
An hour later and the kid is fed, clothed and cleaned up, we are on our way to school. I am still in my pajamas…who will notice? The plan is to bath and dress in time for my eleven o’clock meeting. I was so tired the previous night that I did not work on any of the stuff I was suppose to work on over the weekend – procrastination, my best friend.
The phone does not stop ringing, this is in itself a challenge as I have to run around with the ringing thing in my hand to try and locate a signal strong enough to answer it….a bit like a metal detector, the never ending search for connection. This scenario is repeated numerous times before eleven, once with the laptop in hand as well. Only problem was that the spot with the best signal also had the most sunlight and I could not read the numbers on the screen.
At last, I get away, late but not miserably so for the 11:00 o’clock. On my way there I land in one of SA most high tech environments. The scanning of number plates to see if you have any outstanding traffic fines or warrants for your arrest. I get pulled over. A very friendly officer asks for my driver’s license. With trepidation the little card gets handed over. She returns shortly with a long list of offenses, all for September 2005 and all on the same stretch of road where I was traveling 95 in an 80 zone. A R 1000.00 bucks later I am on my way home, the client was not even available and forgot to let me know he has to go out to the mining site. I promise to phone the next day to reschedule.
Back home/office I am doing washing, searching for signal, writing up reports and trying to decipher complicated mining business models. And in the back of my head I have this little refrain ..stupid fucking asshole, stupid fucking asshole……I just hope I do not answer my phone with the first words that comes into my head.
1 comment:
I had to laugh at the end. it's so not funny, though. Hang in there. Hang in there!
Post a Comment