Pages

Friday, May 18, 2007

Just not good enough

It has started already.

I cannot do anything right. 'No momma, you do not say Elrich like this, it must be like thiiiss 'EL-ric'. No point in arguing that one, I have tried, just change the subject and ask him how school was today. Got told to please not talk to him as he does not feel like talking to me. 'Ok then' I said, just to hear 'Mommy, I said, dont talk to me! Ok?' This is a problem, see, cause what do I answer? Ok...then I am in trouble again. If I dont say anything, the whining from the back of the car will not stop...Oh well, nearly home I think.

A loud coughing fit in the back, so I peek in the rearview mirror, and ask him if he is ok. 'I am just having a bad hoes (cough) he says.' As is my habit, I repeat the whole sentence to him in afrikaans, with a question mark at the end. And get lectured for ten minutes because I did not pronounce 'hoes' with the correct emphasis, according to the linguist, EL-ric.

And I wonder, what will it be like when he is a wise-guy 10 year old?

No comments: