Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Party

Mom turns 60 on the 14th March and in celebration we gave her a party yesterday. Now this was no mean feat as I decided nothing less than a three course, sit down plated dinner will do - at a venue 200 odd km from my house. And as I am the only daughter, with a very disorganised and unsupportive elder brother it was kinda my problem to ensure a most memorable experience. Fortunately she has good friends and I could rope some of them in to help organise the tables, chairs and the decorations of the venue. Friday was spend with me rushing around all over town gathering all the most sumptuous fresh ingredients and packing it in such a way that it could be transported safely to Klerksdorp early Saturday morning.

The food was Mediterranean/ Italian with a bit of a SA flavour - a starter of Proscuitto et Melone and Kiwi fruit, Main course was the softest fillet marinated in rosemary, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic gloves - grilled over an open wood fire, with Potato and Parmesan gratin and a side of sunripened Rosa tomatoes, basil and buffalo mozzarella balls. For desert there was chocolate mousse cake to die for and espresso, or herbal teas Yummmm Everything was beautiful and each dish complimented the other to make for a really well rounded beautiful dinner party.

I am not sure why I got the idea all the time that my mom thought I missed something, she said thank you a lot and complimented me, but there was a little bit of the spontaneity missing and I feel like I somehow failed her.

2 comments:

Undomestic said...

Did you cook all that food? Goodness, is there anything you don't do well????? How wonderful!

cg said...

Lol Cari, I wouldnot be so bold, but yes we made all the food. The only which stuff required cooking was the meat and potatoes, the cake I bought from a deli and the starter was cold. We just wrapped the melon in proscuitto. But it looked beautiful, I wanted something really special for her and could never pay someone else to make that kind of a meal for 30 people